Elon Musk Tesla

Welcome to “The Week in Tech,” where we recap some of the most interesting technology and mobile stories from the past week.

This week we cover Consumer Reports’ hit on Tesla, the Google and Yahoo search deal, Jack Dorsey’s apology, and the announcement of YouTube Red.

Consumer Reports downgrades Tesla recommendation

Back in August, Consumer Reports declared that the Tesla Model S performed better than any car ever, and wound up breaking their ratings system.

This week, they also reported that reliability was not a factor in those tests, and that the Model S has a ways to go on that front. So CR downgraded their “recommended” designation for the vehicle.

CR executed a survey of 1,400 Model S owners and the results showed the vehicle to have a worse-than-average reliability rating. Problems with the drivetrain, power equipment, charging equipment, center console, and a bunch of squeaks and leaks were reported.

Elon Musk responded to the critiques on Twitter, claiming that the test included many early production cars and that those issues have been addressed in newer models.

Shares of Tesla fell 10% after the news broke.

Google and Yahoo strike search deal again

In a renewed case of frenemy-ism, Yahoo has again reached a deal with Google to include the Mountain View company’s text and image search results, as well as search ads, in their own search queries.

The two companies struck a similar deal back in 2000, which lasted until 2004 when Yahoo developed its own search and ad serving technology.

The deal will allow Google will power both desktop and mobile search.

The interesting thing is that Yahoo is currently working with Microsoft’s Bing to help power its search results.

In this deal, Yahoo has guaranteed that Bing search results will be served at least 51% of the time on desktop, and the remaining 49% can come from third parties. The kicker is that there is no minimum guarantee for mobile searches, so Google can theoretically serve up all results there.

For a great overview of the deal, head over to Search Engine Land.

Jack Dorsey apologizes to developers for Twitter’s miscues

New Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey took the stage at the company’s annual Flight conference and offered a sincere apology to its developer community.

Twitter’s relationship with with the software developer community has been confusing and rocky, to say the least.

When Twitter launched in 2006, the company encouraged third-party developers to build on its platform. Many did, which helped contribute to the micro-blogging service’s rapid growth.

But as Twitter grew, it began to restrict access to its platform. First, it cut off Instagram photos from showing up in Twitter users’ feeds. Then it blocked video streaming app Meerkat’s access (and subsequently launched a competitor, Periscope). Most recently, Twitter shut down Politwoops, a network of sites that archived politician’s deleted tweets.

Dorsey didn’t specify exactly what he has planned, but he stated his intentions to “reboot” relationships with the developer community.

Google announces YouTube Red

Google has revealed YouTube Red, a paid subscription tier that lets you watch videos on YouTube or listen to music on Google Play Music ad-free for $9.99 a month.

YouTube Red will split subscription revenue with the platform’s content creators, and Google says it will pass on the “vast majority” of the revenue. Though a percentage was not confirmed, it will be based on watch time.

While this seems to be a good thing for creators, YouTube is actually forcing them to sign a Red contract and if they don’t, their videos will be hidden from YouTube Red subscribers. Ouch.

YouTube says that 99% of creators have signed deals, but the other 1% is pretty angry.

What do you think of these stories? Have you read other interesting mobile and technology stories this week that are worth mentioning? Feel free to add your thoughts to the comments.

Like this post? Then please share it and follow us on Twitter – @thorntech – for future updates.